Saturday, October 15, 2011

Week 1 - In the beginning

Hey Guys, It's time to get rolling!
This week I set up my MicroAquarium.  Below are the steps I took to create my very own personal  MicroAquarium™. For the aquarium itself I will be using a pre-constructed MicroAquarium. I then filled the aquarium with a water sample of my choosing. For this observation I used a water sample from a spring-fed pool at the Lynnehurst Cemetery(-details below) After filling the  MicroAquarium with water, I added a thin sedimentary layer on the bottom of tank using, soil sediments I collected from my water sample. I then inserted two types of hydrophilic plants, Amblestegium sp. moss and Utricularia gibba L. Flowering plant. A carnivous plant(-details below). I then set the lid on the top, and sealed it shut with sticky puddy. Now, Time to let it grow. I cant wait to discover the tons of amazing life I hope to see in the coming weeks!
                                                                                                            -JW


Water sample from:
Lynnhurst Cemetery 
2300 West Adair Drive. 
Knoxville,TN 37918  
Knox County
N36 01.357 W83 55.731
958 ft
Sample collected: 10/9/2011 


Plant A:   Amblestegium sp. Moss
Collected from a natural spring at Carter's Mill Park.
Carter Mill Road
Knox County

Found in partial shade exposure. 
N36 01.168 W83 42.832. 
Sample collected: 10/9/2011


Plant B:  Utricularia gibba L. Flowering plant. A carnivous plant. 
Sample collected from water tanks outside of Hesler botanical greenhouse
University of Tennessee
Knoxville,TN

Original material from the south shore of Spain Lake
N 35o55 12.35" W088o20' 47.00
Camp Bella Air Rd. East of Sparta Tn. in White Co.





No comments:

Post a Comment